- 800g crushed tomatoes
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1large red onion diced
- 8 leaves of basil diced
- few sprigs of thyme
- few sprigs rosemary diced
- 1 chili or more if you like the heat
- pepper to taste .
Add all these ingredients to a small pot and simmer on low for 30 mins ,than set aside .
Lets smoke the Tri Tip!
With this recipe used a Cape Grim Tri and BRZ FOOD Xtra mojo and Mexicana chilli and cocoa.
- Smoker temp was 120c /250f .
- The Tri Tip was smoked until an internal of 75c then placed in a tray with the sauce you made earlier ,wrap the tray then continue to cook until you reach and internal of 98c or probe tender and set aside and rest for an hour .
the shred the Tri Tip through the sauce and set aside and let cool.
Toppings for the Chimichanga
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 lime juice
- 1tbs sour cream
- 1/4tsp smoked paprika
- salt pepper to taste
Add all ingredients to a bowl and mash to consistency you like .
- 125 g corn kernals
- 125g cherry tomatoes chopped
- 125g green capsicum diced
- 125g diced red onion
Add to bowl mix and set aside.
Now the fun part , building the chimichanga!
- First you need to make a slurry to brush on edges of tortilla to hold it together while frying.
- 2 tbs of flour and add water until it forms a nice paste consistency and set aside.
So now you will need a large flour tortilla
When it comes to ingredients the world is your oyster ,but with this one i used the meat and sauce we made earlier , some nice melty cheese and some kidney beans.
add the mixture to your tortilla ( try not to overfill as you dont want it bust open when frying)
- Encase the mixture with your tortilla and slurry the edges so it all holds together creating a sausage roll looking parcel .
- Heat your oil to 177c and gently place your tortilla parcel you have made a cook till a nice browning colour, not too much as these will not take long to cook .
- When they were done i dusted the chimichanga with Love Me Tender Firebird Rub Mild and served with the salsa and gaucamole you made earlier.
- Hold on for the flavourbomb!